Friday, May 2, 2008

SSIS SCript Component Rant

I certainly don't consider myself an SSIS expert, but I have done some work with it. It is a very powerful tool, but some things bother me about it. The first thing is the inability to debug Script Components in a data flow. I can set breakpoints in a Script Task, but in a Script Component I am left with message boxes and logging. This is a very painful way to try to debug code. Anyone with classic ASP experience can relate (response.write, anyone?). Microsoft went to the trouble of including debugging capabilities in ASP.NET and I certainly hope it is added to Script Components in SSIS in 2008.

Another annoyance is that I would like to be able to "save" a Script Component script as a file and then re-use it in other Script Components. Why can't I do this? I realize I could write a custom component (currently beyond my abilities), but shouldn't I be able to load code from a .vb file?

Lastly, error messages. Why doesn't an unhandled error tell me the Script Component's name instead of the useless, Script_Component_GUID? Just give me something I can easily decipher.

Anyway, I don't want to sound like I am down on SSIS, Script Components particularly, but I just see areas it could be improved and they seem like reasonable things to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think I am?