- MWSnap - a free screen capture tool similar to Snag-it. I use it to produce screen shots fro articles, presentations, and user documentation. It's not quite as nice as Snag-It, but you can't beat the price.
- PDF995 - this allows you to "print" to a PDF document. I use it to "print" my on-line transactions, especially when I am away from a printer. There is a sponsored version which is free and you can also buy it for the reasonable price of $9.95 if the ads annoy you.
- Paint.Net - a free image editing software that was "Originally intended as a free replacement for the Microsoft Paint software that comes with Windows". Much more powerful than Paint, but simpler and easier to use than Photoshop or Gimp. I found this one when someone else asked about free image editing software on Twitter and they were pointed here.
- SQLDigger - an application that searches through SQL Server for text in Stored Procedures, Triggers, and Views. I think I found this one through SQLServerCentral several years ago. I use it pretty regularly, and think it is a good tool, but for some reason development of it stopped with .NET 1.1. I wish it was still being developed.
- E-Sword - a Bible program. Includes a few Bible translations and study tools for free with many others available for a minimal fee.
Monday, February 2, 2009
Here a few free programs I have found useful: