- Learn SQL Server 2008, particularly policy-based management, resource governor, and service broker.
- Not a whole lot of progress here. I do have it installed on my laptop, but I have not done much with it, nor have I bought any books. I really need to get started.
- Write 1 Article per quarter for SQLServerCentral.
- Well, I did get an article submitted in the first quarter which will be posted early in the second quarter so I am on target, especially since I have the information for at least 2 more articles already, so I “just” need to write them.
- Record and submit 1 video per quarter for JumpstartTV
- Again I did get one done in the first quarter so I am on target. I also have some ideas for others so it is all about getting them scripted and recorded.
- One Blog post per week
- Another one I am meeting with 19 posts in the first quarter. I have to admit to this being a struggle for me. I really want the posts to have good content and not just be announcements and recaps of meetings I have been to. There is nothing wrong with those posts, but I’d like to be sharing something others can learn from more often. I think that as I write more, it will get easier and better, not just to write, but also to find topics.
- Become more involved in leadership in my local user group (OPASS).
- I’m trying to do make the time to do this, but I need to be more purposeful about it. I am trying to help out by pursuing speakers from within my network. Of course, a bigger network would make it easier. Time is limited and whatever I do try to do I want to do well. Also I have become more involved in PASS as my friend Andy Warren (the OPASS president) is on the board of directors, so I’m trying to help out there as well.
- Speak at 2 community events.
- I have a submitted a session to SQLSaturday – Pensacola and will be submitting at least one session for the PASS Summit, so I am making some effort. I do need to contact some of the other User Groups within driving distance (Tampa, Jacksonville) so I can get more experience. Odds are I will put together another presentation for OPASS this year and at the next SQLSaturday – Orlando.
- Attend the PASS Summit
- I am working on this one. I have spoken to my boss about possibly getting some funds for it, but, regardless, I plan on going. As I already mentioned I will also be submitting at least one session. This is probably the easiest one to do as all it takes is a little money and some vacation time.
Thursday, April 2, 2009
Update on my 2009 Goals
Since we are 1/4 through the year I thought I should give an update on my goals. Overall I think I am doing okay, but I need to work toward them with more purpose.