Tuesday, July 28, 2009

ActiveAugust –> Getting More Fit

ActiveAugust started as a discussion on Twitter and Mike Walsh (@mike_walsh) has set the bar with his blog post about it.  The general idea is to commit to lifestyle changes by becoming more active and/or eating healthier.  The key thing is to setup a plan, blog your plan, and then blog/tweet updates on how you are doing.  Because you have made the commitment public you will have some accountability. There are several SQL Server “personalities” that are taking part including the aforementioned Mike Walsh, Brian Kelley (@kbriankelley), and Jorge Segarra (@SQLChicken).  There may be others that I have missed or don’t currently follow on Twitter. 

Here’s my plan:

  1. Reduce portions at the dinner table.  I don’t measure now, but the goal is to eat 1 helping and stop there.
  2. Fruits and vegetables instead of cookies/brownies/candy/chips for the nighttime snack.
  3. At least 20 minutes of purposeful exercise 6 days a week (walking, biking, swimming, etc…) in addition to the normal time spent with the kids or playing basketball.
  4. Sit-ups and push-ups every day.  I did 25 sit-ups and 15 push-ups last night so I that will be the minimum.  The goal is to add 10 per week.  So on August 8th I should be doing at least 35 and 25.

Another part is a regular weigh-in as the goal is to become more fit and weight loss is usually a good measure of that.  I weighed in yesterday morning at 184.5 lbs so that will be my baseline.  I’ll post my progress weekly starting the 8th.

Hope you join in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think I am?