Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Mid-year update on my goals

I recently saw that Steve Jones had posted an update on his 2009 goals and realized that is was about time for me to do the same.  So let’s get to it.

Learn SQL Server 2008, particularly Policy Based Management, Resource Governor, and Service Broker.

Still not much progress here.  It’s really a matter of getting myself moving.

Write 1 article per quarter for SQLServerCentral

Doing okay here as I have had 2 published and some others in my queue, not SSC’s, but I think this one will get done no problem

Record and Submit 1 video per quarter to JumpStartTV.

Behind on this one as I have only done 1 this year, but I do have some ideas on ones to get in.  I can definitely make it.

One Blog Post per week

I was doing really well on this on until the last month.  I took a vacation where I did nothing technical and didn’t even have internet access and since I have been out of sorts and not interested in writing.  It looks like I do have the quantity, but not the regularity.  This is still a work in progress, but I definitely think I’ll get 52 posts in 2009.

Become more involved in leadership in my local user group (OPASS)

This one is slow going, but I have become involved in pursuing speakers and need to get more involved in finding sponsors and encouraging others to be involved.  I have also been involved in some of the early planning for the next SQLSaturday – Orlando, which is technically a user group event.  I know Andy Warren would be happy to see me do more.

Speak at 2 community events

I have actually met this goal already.  I did my Introduction to Profiler session at the Tampa SQL Server User Group in June and also at SQLSaturday – Pensacola.  I am also scheduled to speak at the Space Coast User Group in September  on the Default Trace.  I will probably submit my Default Trace session to SQLSaturday – Orlando as well.  I did submit 2 sesssions for the PASS Summit that, unfortunately were not selected, but it was the first step.

Attend the PASS Summit

Believe it or not I am still waiting to get permission from my boss to go.  I have permission from my wife to go, so now I just need to get permission from work.  I’m pretty sure this one will happen and if it doesn’t it won’t be because I didn’t try.

Summary

Overall I am doing okay, but I need to use my time better to meet them all.  It’s my nature to do the easy ones, speaking, going to pass, and blogging and procrastinate on the harder ones.  I guess that should be a goal for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think I am?