Friday, March 19, 2010

Being Involved in the Community

Regular readers know that I enjoy being involved in the SQL Server community.  Over the last two and a half years I’ve progressed from being a “lurker” on the SQLServerCentral forums to one of the top posters and author, from not having attended a user group to co-President of my local user group (OPASS), from a SQLSaturday attendee who didn’t talk to hardly anyone there to a speaker, organizer, and I hope someone who makes others feel more comfortable at the event, and I’ve attended my first PASS Summit.  As you can see there has been a progression in each area.  So what’s the next step?

Well, I’ve been part of the PASS Content Committee by helping put together the blog list, submitting the Top 10 Profiler Resources list, and volunteering to help tech edit SQL Server Standard articles (have not done one yet).  I’ve also helped out on the Program Committee by providing input on the Summit Speaker’s contract.  Those have all but small roles with a minimal time commitment, but now I will be serving on the PASS Program Committee as part of the abstract selection team for the Enterprise Database Administration and Deployment track for the 2010 Summit.  I’m really looking forward to working with Jeremiah Peschka (@peschkaj), the board member in charge, Allen Kinsel (@sqlinsaneo), the Program Committee chairperson, and the rest of the team.  Hopefully, we will be able to pick the best of the best so that this will be the best Summit ever.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent. Do you take credit cards or checks, or does it have to be cash like with everyone else?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cash works best because there is not trail like there is with Credit Cards, checks, Paypal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grant, We have to get Jack indoctrinated into the proper form of "gift" acceptance. He hasnt seen the handbook yet to know what the proper procedure is. Of course he did a good job giving the proper gifts to get selected to the review team so Im sure he'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete

So what do you think I am?