Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Didn't I Just Post about Slipstream making Installs Easier?

So the other day I posted, Slipstream - Makes installs simple, and this afternoon I needed to do a SQL Server 2008 Standard install to get an evaluation environment of Team Foundation Server 2010 installed.

Well, I didn't follow my own advice.  I figured I had some good reasons:

  1. My slipstream setup is on my laptop at home and is SQL Server 2008 Developer.
  2. I'm doing a one-time install so setting up the slipstream environment would take just as long as installing the RTM and then SP1.

Just call me stupid.  First, I got a Restart Required error that wouldn't go away on the RTM install.  You can find the fix to that here (thanks to Aaron Bertrand (@AaronBertrand)).  So I go the RTM installed, then I started to install SP1.  Wait! The same error!  No big deal I have the fix.  No, you can't use the /Action=Install with a service pack install.  Okay, I'll try /Action=Upgrade, nope that doesn't work either.  Finally, after 2 hours I tried /SKIPRULES=RebootRequiredCheck without the /ACTION parameter and it worked!

Lesson learned.  In less than half the time I could have built my SQL Server 2008 Standard + SP1 slipstream install and had everything up and running.  I basically lost an afternoon because I refused to do something I knew I should do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think I am?